The Hunter & Central Coast Regional Environmental Management Strategy (HCCREMS) is essentially a framework developed to guide and coordinate the efforts of our 14 member councils in addressing a range of environmental issues that are best managed within a strategic regional context…..
The HCCREM Strategy is reviewed and updated every three years under the guidance of Council General Managers and Directorsof Planning & Environment.
A team of Professional staff (Ecology, Botany, GIS, Engineering, Environmental Science and Management, Administration) are responsible for coordinating the design and implementation of the HCCREMS programs and projects, in concert with the staff and Managers of member Councils.
The HCCREMS team is hosted at the offices of Hunter Councils Inc along with a number of other regional council projects (Training, Procurement, Film & Television Promotion, Records Storage).
What We Do
The HCCREMS initiative seeks to:
- Facilitate the cooperative, regional implementation of environmental management and conservation initiatives
- Lead by innovation, in order to promote ecologically sustainable development throughout the Hunter, Central and Lower North Coast Region
- Enhance and promote cost effective and sustainable environmental management programs and practices, through regional cooperation in research, capacity building and information exchange between the member organisations
- Attract funding and resources to the region to research, design and deliver innovation and best practice in environmental management policies, practices and programs
The HCCREMS program has been operating successfully for over 14 years and continues to attract significant funding and partners to develop and implement regional scale projects. Key theme areas for the HCCREMS programs are:
- Climate Change
- Roadside Environments
- Environmental Compliance
- Community Arts & Education
For more information about HCCREMs, please visit their website by clicking here